Title: An Act (passed 10th June 1811) to enable the...
Publisher: London : Printed by George Eyre and Andrew Strahan,
Publication Date: 1816
Book Condition: Good
96 printed pages. Includes index. Pages bright and with good margins. 12.5 x 18.5 cm. Contemporary half calf. Chipped red morocco label with gilt lettering along the spine. Both hinges cracked, leather missing from the top and bottom of the spine, that has general wear. Boards covered in marbled paper- some wear, particularly to the corners. The church was completed in 1817, at an overall cost of £80,000 & is one of the handsomest structures of the kind in the metropolis. It was designed by Thomas Hardwicke, a follower of Sir William Chambers. The Rectory district is bounded on the south, by Oxford Street from Vere Street to Orchard Street ; on the west, by and including the east sides of Orchard Street, Portman Square, Baker Street, and Park Road ; on the north, by and including the south side of Primrose Hill Road; and on the east, in part by the parish of St. Pancras, and by the south-east quadrant of the circle in the Regent's Park, formed by the roads running southward and eastward from the said circle ; and continuing southward includes the west sides of Devonshire Place, Wimpole Street, and Vere Street. A local resident was Charles Dickens (1812 1870), in Devonshire Terrace, whose son was baptised in this church (a ceremony fictionalised in Dombey and Son). Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett were married in this phase of the church in 1846 (their marriage certificate is preserved in the church archives). The church was also used in location filming for the 1957 film recounting their story, The Barretts of Wimpole Street. WorldCat locates just one solitary copy at University College London Library. Bookseller Inventory # 4447